Tuesday 15 April 2014

Background - Part 2

Okay where did I stop yesterday . Oh yes, The big fight !! Here is what hapd next

In the morning when I woke up Adi was already awake and he was in the kitchen. I was a bit surprised as Adi is not an early bird and usually I have to coax him out of bed in the morning. I quietly came and sat on the dining and observed him. He was looking cheerful and was humming a song. I sat perplexed as I had expected him to be in a bad mood after what had happened yesterday. Finally he turned and when he saw me he said "Good Morning Jaan , Did you have a good sleep ?"
I replied "Good Morning , Yes it was good. How abt you . How are you feeling ?". He responded that he felt great and that breakfast will be ready in 15-20 mins and that I better freshen up. I came back to my room and went through my daily routine. When I came out he was laying the table and had prepared everything already. He asked me to sit down and have some of it. I sat a little confused as to what was happening and then noticed there was a letter on the table. I opened and found that this was the apology letter that I had instructed Adi to write yesterday night. I started reading and realized that Adi had spent some time to put this together. He mentioned very clearly that he understands that he was at fault and that he should have never said the things he said. He also stated that he thought I was right to slap him to bring him back to his senses. He promised to trust my judgement in future in all matters and that I was fit to take any action if I realized that he was not upto his promise. Finally he asked me to again forgive for yesterday. After reading the letter I saw that Adi was standing holding his ears saying "Sorry". I immediately burst into tears and stood to hug him. We kissed and made up.

In the evening we were sitting on the sofa with my head resting on Adi's shoulder. I finally asked Adi how did he feel when I asked him to apologize yesterday. Adi felt silent and then looked into my eyes and said that honestly he felt humiliated but then he knew that I was right and that it was better to apologize than face my wrath. I replied " You made the right choice Adi". I then teased him that from now onwards every time he needs to apologize he needs to do it the right way which is while bowing at my feet" Adi replied tongue in cheek "Yes Ma'am".


Next few weeks were spent in applying for Visa and completing other formalities. Adi tried to find a project in his office that could place him in the US but no luck. We decided to discuss all the scenarios and put Pros and Cons to them. This went for days and finally one evening I felt that we were getting nowhere and I felt frustrated . I told Adi enough is enough and that here is what we are going to do

1) I will go to US for this assignment and Adi will come with me. He will take a sabbatical from work for 1 year
2) He will apply for a work permit there and we will see if we can find some job in US. Till then he can manage the house.

I asked Adi if had any problem with this and he replied in negative. We knew that this will be a problem with our parents so I started to prepare my reasoning. Over the weekend we visited Adi's parents and broke the news to them. They were very surprised and her mother said " How can a guy sit idle while his wife works ? What will the society say ?" . I explained that this was a joint decision and that I anyway earn equal to what Adi earns and after the promotion it will be financially beneficial as  well. Adi's parents looked at Adi and he said he completely agreed with me on this. Finally after much prodding they agreed and we came back to my place. My parents were a cakewalk and were infact proud that I was doing so good in my office. Adi then put the leave request in his office and we flew to US in May 2010.

I was posted in New jersey so we tried to find an apartment in an Indian neighborhood. Initial couple of months were spent setting up the house. As the office was a good 40 miles away it took a lot of time to commute. In the evening I used to come exhausted and then had to do some household work like laundry and cleaning. A couple of times I asked Adi that he should help more and he promised to pick up some of these tasks but in vain. The only thing I didn't have to worry was the kitchen as Adi was quite expert at that. However still I always felt shortchanged and that as if Adi was not being an equal partner. He was still waiting for his Work permit so all he did in the day was some kitchen work and play on his PS3. Atleast that is what I thought he did !!

Then one day all that changed ...

Till Later
Pooja

No comments:

Post a Comment